One of my favorite comfort foods is chili. There’s nothing like having a big bowl of hearty chili on a cold evening. It tastes even better the next morning for breakfast! I’ve come to love just adding whatever ingredients I feel would make it tastes delicious, so this isn’t really a traditional recipe for chili. It’s so incredibly filling and I love the spices that lingers in the back of my throat after each bite.
2lbs ground turkey
1 yellow onion, diced
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
2 (15oz) canned crushed tomatoes
1 (15oz) chili beans
2 yellow, red, or orange bell peppers
3 T tomato paste
salt and pepper to taste
1 tsp sugar, or one packet stevia/truvia
3 T chili powder
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp paprika or cayenne pepper
green onions to garnish
other veggies: kale, spinach, etc.
optional: 1 T cornstarch/flour
- Saute oil with onion and garlic until slightly browned and onions turn opaque. Add ground turkey and cooked until crumbled and browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on medium heat for ~30 min.
- If you like your chili more thick and less liquid-y, you can mix in cornstarch or flour.
- Taste your chili and add more seasoning to your liking.
- Garnish with green onions and enjoy!