Hello everyone! I’m excited to share my first post of 2015!
I’m aware that many bloggers are whipping up some super healthy recipes for the eat-healthier new year resolution that many people are determined to undertake (more power to you!) Coincidentally, today I made something that fits right in!
I was really excited to make this chicken shawarma salad because every since my first exposure to Mediterranean food, I fell in love with this cuisine and their powerful flavors. I wanted to make something reminiscent of the chicken shawarma wrap I always get with whatever ingredients I had on hand. I found a chicken shawarma marinade online that was absolutely delicious. It was super easy and quick to put this salad together; if you recreate it, just add whatever toppings you have around the house, but you must try using this the spice-marinade on your meat! Good luck in the kitchen and I hope you all are having a wonderful start of the year! 🙂
Chicken Shawarma Salad
adapted from toriavey.com
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (4 large breasts), sliced thinly
- 2 Tb olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp allspice
- 3/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne
- Salt and black pepper
- Salad: spinach, raisins, walnuts, freshly squeezed lemon juice, mandarins, corn (feel free to add other toppings: grapes, apples, beets, almonds, carrots, tomatoes, cucumber, feta cheese, etc)
- Marinade the chicken with the oil and spices. If you want the flavors to sink in more, refrigerate for 15 minutes or more before cooking.
- Cook the chicken on a lightly greased non-stick pan on med-high heat until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- As the chicken is cooking, toss all your salad ingredients in a large bowl and drizzle with freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Top with the cooked chicken.
I also toasted a slice of whole wheat bread on the pan I used to cook the chicken and it tasted SO good because the bread soaked up all those yummy flavors from the chicken.