Happy Tuesday everyone!
I hope you all are having an awesome summer so far! Now that I’m back at home, I have been able to cook more often for my my family. The other day, I really wanted to make the same Chicken Parmesan I made when I was in college because it was SOOO good and simple to make! However, I didn’t have any panko breadcrumbs and cheese so I opted to replace the breadcrumbs with crushed ritz crackers and omit the cheese. It wasn’t as good as the chicken parmesan but it still satisfied my craving! Even my brother (so is extremely picky and does not eat anything isn’t pleasant for his taste buds) liked it! The chicken was crispy from the crackers and the pasta sauce on top just brought the dish to a whole new level! You can probably use other type of crackers like saltines or cheezits too. I would definitely make this again, especially since my family does not usually buy panko breadcrumbs and cheese. Definitely not a Chinese kitchen staple lol!
Crispy Baked Chicken
3 boneless skinless chicken breast
ritz crackers, crushed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 egg whites, beaten with 1T water
garlic salt and pepper
spices (basil,oregano, parsley)
3/4 cup pasta/marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
2. Slice the chicken breasts horizontally in half – it should be about 1/4 inch thick. Pound with a mallet if it’s too thick.
3. Season both sides with garlic salt and pepper.
4. In a flat bowl crush the ritz crackers and sprinkle in some of the spices.
5. In another flat bowl beat an egg white with 1T water.
6. In another flat bowl, combine the flour and sprinkle in the spices.
7. Dip each chicken in flour, then egg, then crackers – coating both sides.
8. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or just coat with cooking spray.
9. Bake for 10 minutes. Then open the oven and generously spoon a layer of the pasta/marinara sauce on top (if you are using cheese, this is the time to add it in!) and bake for another 2-3 minutes.