This came out so moist and delicious! The tastiest way I’ve made chicken so far! I was worried about drying out the meat, since chicken meat can easily be dry and tough, but this came out moist and tender. Boyfriend approved! 🙂
*didn’t have Parmesan cheese, so I replaced with mozzarella
adapted from traceysculinaryadventures.com
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 8 oz each)
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 tablespoon water
- canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley for garnish
- Place the chicken on a cutting board. Working with one breast at a time, place your hand on top and use a sharp knife to cut the breast in half horizontally, to make two thinner chicken cutlets. (Don’t worry if they’re not perfectly even, mine never are!) Place each cutlet between two sheets of plastic wrap and use a meat mallet or skillet to pound to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Preheat oven to 475 F. Set a wire rack inside a rimmed baking sheet and spray the rack with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Add the panko and oil to a 12-inch skillet, and stirring frequently, toast the breadcrumbs until they are golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer the breadcrumbs to a wide, shallow dish and allow to cool briefly, then add the mozzarella and stir. In a second shallow dish, mix the flour and garlic powder. Finally, add the egg whites and water to a third dish, and beat with a fork until frothy.
- Pat the chicken dry then season both sides with salt and pepper. One at a time, dip the cutlets in the flour, then the egg whites and the panko mixture. Press the panko onto the chicken to completely coat. Transfer the cutlets to the wire rack you sprayed earlier.
- Spray the tops of the cutlets with cooking spray then bake for about 10 minutes, or until the chicken registers betwen 150 and 160 F on an instant read thermometer. Remove from the oven, and top each piece of chicken with 2 tablespoons each of sauce and mozzarella (or more if you want). Return to the oven and bake until the cheese has melted and the chicken is cooked through (160-165 F), about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with the parsley before serving.**(I cut the chicken in half to make sure it’s cooked through and not pink).